Monday, November 19, 2012

Williams Route 66 Marathon Race Recap

Never in a million years did I imagine that I would willing set my alarm for 515 in the morning on a non work day.  Then add to that I woke up that early to run what turned out to be 10.6 miles, which is my longest run to date.  Though my nano had me at 14 miles with a much more impressive pace.

Did you catch that?  10.6 miles.  I did end up running the final two legs of the relay.  Unfortunately, one of my sweet running friends has a stress fracture and ended up being "booted"  No, we didn't kick her off the team.  She ended up with a lovely black boot on her foot instead of getting her medal.  She ended up being our transportation between relay points(a thankless job) and our biggest cheerleader.

I will say that the Route 66 group put on a great event for a bigger race   It seemed very organized and well put together.  At least from my limited race knowledge.  There were plenty of water/Gatorade stops and at one point they even had people handing out Gu.  Which I did take but did not try (yet).  There were so many people lined up along the route cheering everyone on.  It was amazing and the sense of community was in full display.

That being said I did not even get close to my goal.  There were way more hills than I had anticipated and you know how much I love my hills.  Not.  I did end up at an 11:41 pace, but I know I can do better and I will.  

I should add that while I am disappointed that I didn't do better, I had a blast.  This was so much fun and despite my nano being way off sync, I think in an odd way it helped.  I was less in my head and more involved in just running.  I did way more looking at where I was running, the sights, the signs.  I got to see some of Tulsa's most beautiful areas and ran past the hospital where my daughter was born, past the gas station we stopped at when we were leaving the hospital with her.  I had old memories mixing with new memories. The highlight was being blindsided by the finish line, I still thought I had at least a mile to go and all of a sudden I see my friend right beside me taking pictures.  Then I felt a push from behind and two of my friends ran with me to finish.  I needed that boost because I was kind of starting to drag and I finished with a huge smile on my face.

A little help from my friend...

 Bottom line though I accomplished what I set out to do and that was run the final two legs of the relay. I also learned that I am ready for the Princess Half.  I also know that my goal is not totally unreasonable for the half.

 But I also learned that sometimes running isn't about the time, it's about the adventure along the way.